The Forest of Spirits is a dungeon featured in Valkyrie Profile and Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria. Situated on an island off the Southeastern coast of Midgard, this lush woodland is the home of the elves, who guard the entrance to Bifrost, the rainbow bridge connecting Midgard to Asgard. In both of its iterations, the dungeon contains an area designed by the elves as a means of protection against intruders: thick mist obscures the path, and not taking the correct route will result in an endless loop. In Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria, it is connected to the Ravine Caverns, which lead to Bifrost.
The only place in Midgard where spirits still exist. It is also inhabited by Elves who are said to be highly gifted in the lore of magical item making. Someone can probably be found here to fix damaged or broken artifacts.
Lenneth visits the Forest on Odin's request during Chapter 7: he wants the elves to repair the Accursed Flame Gem, a powerful artifact which will allow him to enter Jotunheim. A female elf welcomes Lenneth, but informs her that she does not have the materials to repair the gem: in order to obtain them, Lenneth must defeat three creatures and visit a spring in the Forest. Once the items are collected, the elf repairs the gem, stating that, if Odin has decided to use it, it must mean that Asgard is in grave danger.
- Eye of Heaven (arrow trap)
- Lucerne Hammer
- Sap Power
- Golden Egg (arrow trap)
- Dampen Magic (arrow trap)
- Sacred Javelin
- Lapis Lazuli
- Golden Egg
- Invoke Feather
- Timer Ring
- Golden Egg (arrow trap)
- Dampen Magic
- Reflect Sorcery
- Mystic Cross
- Sylphan Robe (arrow trap)
- Accursed Flame Gem (artifact)
- Elven Bow (artifact)
- Arectaris (artifact)
- Corrosive Vine
- Corsair Beetle
- Crustacean Monster
- Viscous Clod
- Cockatrice - Mini-Boss
- Venomous Spider - Mini-Boss
- Sivapithecus - Mini-Boss
As elves are traditionally depicted as proficient Archers, all the trapped chests in this dungeon contain arrow traps.
Valkyrie Profile 2: SilmeriaEdit
The sole area divine spirits exist in the human world. Within lie the gates of Bifrost, which lead to Asgard.
Rufus and Alicia travel to the Forest of Spirits after Hrist's attack on Dipan. Despite having fled the Forest, where he was being kept as a farm animal due to his being a half-elf, Rufus feels that the time for him to challenge Odin has come. He wants to overthrow him and attain the knowledge requisite of a god at the top of Yggdrasil. Alicia, after seeing her homeland annihilated, also has a score to settle with Odin, as well as wanting to bring the Dragon Orb back to stabilize Midgard. Despite the fact that humans cannot cross Bifrost, Rufus asks her to accompany him, possibly because he wants to stay with her as long as possible and hopes to find a way around the problem. This proves ineffective, as Alicia finds herself trapped at the gates of Bifrost once they traverse the Forest. They are promptly attacked by Heimdall and some Aesir scouts, only narrowly managing their escape. When all hope seems lost, a female elf comes to their rescue. Introducing herself as Roussalier, she offers them a hiding place and supplies, seemingly sympathetic to their plight. Upon her stating that the only way a human could cross Bifrost is by becoming undead, Alicia decides to travel back to Dipan to search the Three Mages' laboratory for some leftover Ghoul Powder. Rufus tells her he can lend her the Ring of Mylinn while they cross Bifrost to stop her transformation; since time does not flow in Asgard, neither of them will need the ring once they are there. Once their errand is complete, Rufus and Alicia return to the Forest. Alicia takes the Ghoul Powder at the gates of Bifrost, but Heimdall catches up to the pair. Roussalier appears once again to distract the pursuers, as Rufus and Alicia finally make it through the gate. However, with Alicia temporarily unconscious, Rufus then watches, powerless, as Roussalier is surrounded and killed.
- Elvenbow (poison gas trap)
- Fairy Tincture (freezing gas trap)
- Foolproof Talisman
- Spell Potion (confusion gas trap)
- Prime Elixir
- Fairy Tincture (explosion trap)
- Double-check (confusion gas trap)
- Elfin Boots
- Arondight (explosion trap)
- Carnivorous Plant (Plant)
- Elven Hawk (Beast)
- Elven Wolf (Beast)
- Kobold Warrior (Beast)
- Kobold Lord (Beast)
- Lizard King (Scaled)
- Mimetic Flower (Plant, Insect)
- Sharp Scissors (Unholy)
- Sky Lizard (Giant, Scaled)
- Life Stealer (Demon)
- Prince of Hel (Demon) x6 - Mini-Boss
- Arectaris (Giant, Plant) - BOSS
- Traversing the Forest of Spirits is the only means to access the Ravine Caverns before completing Yggdrasil. Afterwards, they are also accessible through Asgard from the World Map (via Bifrost).
- If you have released all your Einherjar, Rufus and Alicia will be your only party members.
- Before the fight with Arectaris, elves may be encountered throughout the Forest. They are not regular enemies, as they cannot be fought, but coming in contact with them will teleport the party back to the entrance of the dungeon. However, they can be crystallized. After the Arectaris fight, they will be replaced with Sharp Scissor enemies.
- Crescent and Lwyn will appear at the entrance of the Forest of Spirits when released.